Thursday, April 19, 2012

Interview with Julie Tice

Our very own Kendal Zemmin interviewed University of Michigan alumna, Julie Tice, who set a piece on six of our dancers: Madison Haase, Lissa Krysska, Ambika Raina, Caty Raupp, Hillary Kooistra, and Kendal.  The piece is called Roundabout.




This year we had the pleasure of working with Julie Tice first semester for a modern technique class. In addition, she choreographed a work for FTC called Roundabout.  Her enthusiasm in the classroom made rehearsals and learning a new technique extremely enjoyable and exciting. Julie is originally from Petersburg, Illinois and trained with the Springfield Ballet Company. She graduated with a BFA in dance at the University of Michigan, so she was able to relate to all of the dancers and the city especially well.  In 2007, she was awarded the Emerging Artist Award from the University’s School of Music, Theater, and Dance. After school she went on to dance with the Paul Taylor Dance Company. She has performed in many works including her own and has shown all of us how far inspiration and determination can take you. We asked her a couple of general questions to see hear more about her experiences and motivations:

What inspired your piece?  I wanted to create a piece that would be fun for the school students to watch.  The entire piece is based off of circles, spheres, and orbs.  Each section emphasizes a different part of the body creating these shapes.  It was an exploration for me as to how many different movements could I create with a circular pattern.

What are some of your favorite memories from your time at U of M?  Being surrounded by so many bright and talented students.  My graduating class inspired each other to be better artists from the moment we started our freshman year.  The guest artists that visited the dance department during my time at Michigan were incredibly inspiring and opened my eyes to so many possibilities within the filed of dance.  

What was your FTC experience like?  That was a LONG time ago!!  Forgive me, but I do not remember that much.  I know I enjoyed it.   I thought it was a wonderful tool to help teach students learn how to create a show and every aspect that goes along with it.

What was your MFA/BFA show like? I remember very clearly creating my group piece for my BFA concert.  It was to Bach's Goldberg Variations.  I studied the piano score in order to learn the intricacies of the music.  It was the first time I created and shaped a piece longer than a couple of minutes.  It was a very satisfying process! 

What are you most proud of accomplishing since graduation?  My long and fulfilling career with the Paul Taylor Company.  It was my dream job.  I worked very hard, but I also was a little bit lucky to end up dancing with the company.  I enjoyed those years tremendously and always treated each show as though it were my last!

What was your favorite part about being in the Taylor Company?   The caliber of the dancers is tremendous.  To be surrounded by that day in and day out was a true gift.  I had the opportunity to perform several times a week for many many years.  The time on stage and the intensity of the other dancers helped me to become the artist I am today. 

Did you always plan on becoming a professional dancer?  Yes, for as long as I can remember.  I wanted nothing more than to share my joy of dance with people!

Do you have any advice for young choreographers?  Explore, Explore, Explore!  Do not be afraid to make mistakes and take risks.  Try something new and if it doesn't work move on and try again.  Choreographing is like peeling the layers of an onion.  With each layer, you learn a little bit more about yourself as an artist.   Be true to your own voice because it is unique and valuable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment